We continued with the decorating of the Hairdressing department over Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. The transformation has been amazing. Some highlights have been:
1. The interest and commitment of the college and their desire to look after us demonstrated with providing hot drinks and lunch each day.
2. The excitement of the students as they watch the progress being made and their desire to get involved has continued.
3. Watching the collaborative nature of the project continue this time with the electrical installation department re-fitting the light fittings. We did smile at the time there was one person up the ladder and about 10 others begging the question, ‘how many electrical trainees it takes to change a light bulb?’
4. The difficulty we had with the floor – we used more than twice the usual amount of floor acid and still were not totally satisfied with the result. The years the room had been used as a machine shop had left its mark!
5. Watching the girls next door doing the hairdressing practical in semi gloom using bowls perched on the edge of chairs for hair washing. It made us more excited about the facilities they would have once we had finished.
6. The beaming smiles of the three main teachers, Josephine (Head of Department), Angela and Aidah. They were very, very happy.
7. Watching one of the other Hairdressing Dept rooms being decorated. Had we inspired them to get on and do some for themselves?
Sunday 11th postscript
We had a grand opening ceremony with members of NVI present including the Acting Director, Edison. Josephine the head of department cut the ribbon. It was time to see Tony's great work - he had fitted the hair driers and the mirrors. The sinks were in place but parts missing from the box meant connecting up would be complete next week.